Life! HELPING YOU PREVENT DIABETES, HEART DISEASE & STROKE
The Life! HELPING YOU PREVENT DIABETES, HEART DISEASE & STROKE course is a type 2 diabetes prevention program. It is a lifestyle behaviour change course of six group sessions, run over a period of eight months. The aim is to help you work towards a weight loss goal of five per cent of your total body weight through healthy eating and moderate daily exercise.
The Life! HELPING YOU PREVENT DIABETES, HEART DISEASE & STROKE course is not a lecture. The staff running the course give you individual attention and learn about you and your lifestyle. Then together, you set out an exercise routine and health eating plan that you can easily maintain for a long healthy life.
The small group provides support to help you stay motivated and on track. If your friend or partner is not at high risk of type 2 diabetes, they may still be able to attend for extra support.
The Life! HELPING YOU PREVENT DIABETES, HEART DISEASE & STROKE course is:
- free for most people
- run by specially trained staff
- held with groups of no more than 15 people
- six 90 minute sessions over six months
Are you eligible?
Eligibility criteria for the Life! Taking Action on Diabetes course includes, but is not limited to:
- You do not have diabetes.
- You live in Victoria.
- You obtain a referral from a registered General Practitioner (doctor),
- You have a history of a high risk condition, such as heart disease or diabetes during pregnancy, or,
- You are recognised as being at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes after completing a Diabetes Risk Test.
- You are 50+ years of age (or 40+ years of age if your doctor refers you).
How do I register on a course?
- Take the diabetes RISK test to see if you are at risk of type 2 diabetes and eligible for the Life! HELPING YOU PREVENT DIABETES, HEART DISEASE & STROKE course.
- Call 13 RISK (13 7475) for further information.