When injury strikes, it can be very demoralising. For someone in the fitness industry, it can mean that your work, and your lifestyle, are impacted. For many, this can feel like a huge set back. However, inevitably, injuries occur. Just like catching the flu, a minor injury can be your bodies way of telling you it is time for a break. By shifting your perception of the situation from negative to positive, you can stay focused towards your goals and even improve recovery time. Here are a few tips on how to not lose motivation when an injury occurs:
1. VISUALIZE the end goal. See yourself as ‘well’ and ‘fit again’. It will happen.
2. REST. If medical professionals have told you to cease all physical activity and rest, do. Don’t look at it as a set back but as your body’s chance to enjoy a well earned holiday. Remember, rest is a weapon.
3. MODIFY. Depending on your injury many workouts can be modified so that you can still maintain your level of fitness.
4. LOW IMPACT. Getting into the pool is a great option for those who want to exercise without the impact. It is also an excellent place to start when beginning a rehab journey after an injury.
5. SUPPORT. Surround yourself with like-minded people. Don’t fall off the wellness wagon just because you have a minor setback. By having positive people support you, you will be 10 times more likely to meet your goals.