A work/life balance helps manage the often-competing priorities between work and life commitments. This can include your career, business, hobbies, family and friends.
If you employ people, consider how your business can offer flexibility to achieve a work/life balance for your employees.
There are a number of benefits of work, life and family flexibilities, such as:
- Reduced absenteeism
- Increased productivity
- Retaining skilled staff and reduced training costs
- Reduced staff turnover
- Attracting new employees
- Being recognised as an employer of choice
- Increased morale and job satisfaction
With the right approach, workplaces with flexible working arrangements and a family-friendly culture help your employees achieve a work/life balance. If you support your employees in this way, they continue to support and be an asset in your business.
Ways you can create a work/life balance:
If you want to create a workplace that values a work/life balance, you could offer:
- Part time hours: reduced-hour working weeks (less than 38 hours).
- Flexible hours: allow staff to work earlier or later in the day.
- Compressed hours: staff work four days a week instead of five by working longer hours.
- Job sharing: two or more people on part-time hours share one full-time job.
- Teleworking: staff work from home, mobile offices or public places.
- Purchased leave: allow your staff to get extra leave by reducing their annual salary.
- Unpaid leave for school holidays: allow staff with school-aged children to take unpaid leave during school holidays.
- Talk to employees about leave policies: this is a great way to find out what your employees value in a family-friendly workplace.
- Subsidies for childcare.
- Return to work support: offer programs that help employees return to work after extended leave.
Flexible working arrangements: Some employees who have worked with an organisation for twelve months are entitled to request a flexible working arrangement. Employees should make these requests in writing. As an employer, you must respond within 21 days.