But whether you are self-employed, a sub contractor or an employee, managing and minimising the potential risks could save your professional reputation and millions of dollars in legal costs. The three main steps in managing risk are:
- Identifying potential risks
- Evaluating the severity of the potential risks
- Developing strategies to reduce the potential risks
Developing strategies to reduce risk includes having a risk ‘toolkit’. Your kit may include:
- First aid supplies
- Fresh drinking water
- Pre-screening process for new clients
- Strategies for supporting clients to assess their own optimal training level
- A risk identification, assessment and management process for evaluating outdoor training venues
- An awareness of relevant policies and procedures including occupational health and safety and scope of practice
- Knowledge of Physical Activity Australia’s code of conduct
Public liability insurance protects you and your business in the event a client is injured while you are providing a service to them. It covers incidents in a studio or gym as well as outdoor services and events.
Profession indemnity insurance safeguards you, your business and your professional reputation against claims of misconduct or malpractice.
JLT Sports is Physical Activity Australia’s preferred insurance company. They have developed a cost effective, comprehensive insurance package with nil excess, exclusively for fitness professionals registered with us. Contact JLT Sports directly on 1300 130 373 for policy details and to apply for cover.
COST OF COVER PROVIDED BY JLT SPORTS
As with all insurance policies, it is always important to read the fine print and ensure the cover you choose is right for you and your business.